MRLS is on Facebook at: Michigan Regional Lily Society
MRLS – 2017
Detroit Zoo (Bed #55): The Zoo Garden displayed a wonderful collection of lilies last season. From the early Martagons to the last of the Black Beauties, it was spectacular. We added Wave Petunias to the Black-eyed Susan’s around the border. Which put on a nice display throughout the summer. The Dahlia’s performed poorly for the second year in a row. It was agreed that we will add more Martagon’s to the Garden this fall.
- Zoo Garden Coordinator: Karen Greenwald will be our Zoo Garden Coordinator. Her email is ORKAREN.GREENWALD@yahoo.com, phone number (248) 219-8881. Please call or email her to sign up for weeding and watering at the Zoo throughout the summer. The Zoo wants all Adopt-a-garden volunteers to visit their gardens at least once a week, for weeding and watering. Parking passes and badges passed out at the meeting.
- If you have not been out to the Zoo to work before and you plan on doing so this year. You must fill out a waiver of liability today so that I can turn it in. The Gate has been moved, when you go out for the first time this season, make sure you ask the Guard for directions.
- Planting week at the Zoo is May 26 – June 3.
- Plants ordered from the Zoo Plant list can be picked up from 7am – 3pm.
- It was decided that we would purchase white Petunia’s for the outer perimeter and Canna Lilies with red foliage to go inside the bed for added color.
- We will be planting the flowers on Tuesday, May 30th at 9:30. A few of us have already the help, if you would like to join us just come on out.
Martagons and Wine: We seem to miss out on the beauty of the Martagons. We would like to start a new event: Martagons & Wine. If you have a nice Martagon collection and you’re willing to host this event, please let us know. This event will be held at the home of Gloria Hsu. We will send out a flyer with the date and time in a week or two.
Other Events: Still need a few Events for the summer, if you have and idea please let us know and we’ll try our best to make it happen. Warren & Gail Summers will be hosting a Open House, date will be posted as soon as its determined.
2017 Lily Shows: The North American Lily Society 70th Annual International Lily Show & Symposium will be held in St. Louis, Missouri this year. Warren & Gail Summer and Alicia will be attending. There’s still plenty of time to sign up if you would like to attend.
2017 NALS Lily Show See nals2017.lilies.org for more details. It will be held in St Louis, Mo. To lend your time and support to this convention, please contact Lynn Slackman at firstname.lastname@example.org
MRLS Show: The Michigan Regional Lily Society Annual Lily Show is scheduled for July 15, 2017, at 9am. It will be held at the home of Stacey and Alicia Boyd.
The Stem Display Area: Unfortunately at last year’s Lily Show we did not have enough tables or space on the deck to adequately display all the lily stems in their designated categories. The remedy for this situation is – one large Tent set up in the middle of the yard with all the tables and chairs that we need. This will also alleviate the need for the other tents that I had set up in the yard. One side of the tent will be used to display the stems and the other side will be set up for socializing and the pot luck.
The deck will be used as the staging area.
Our Society members will host a potluck. Which means on that day you’re encouraged to bring a dish for passing. We will have an individual in charge of the potluck, you will be able to contact that person and let them know what you plan on bringing.
Karen volunteered to be the Potluck Chairperson. Please call or email her and let her know what you plan on bringing. She can be reached at (248)219-8881 or karen.Greenwald@yahoo.com.
Below is the list of Jobs that we need volunteers for. If I failed to mention anything please bring it to my attention.
- Publicity – Eileen and a few others took care of this last year. Linda Ford has already started working in this area. But this is an area that we can all assist in. If you’re a member of another garden club we encourage you to invite them to cut a lily stem and join us, or just come to take in the beautiful display of lilies that will be on hand. If you’ve shared your lilies with your family and neighbors, please invite them to cut a stem and join us. We Still need help in this area.
- Set up for the show – July 14th, before the start of the show. If the weather permits we can sit up the tables the day before. Last year our son and a few of his friends from the high school set up everything that before. The Tent company will set-up everything.
- Greeters – Meet guest and direct them to the Lily staging area. Frank Ford has signed up, we could you 1 or 2 more.
- Be a clerk – Contact Gail Summers if your interested in clerking at email@example.com
- Breakdown of the show – This will be a good way to burn off all the delicious food you eat.
Bulb Sale October 14, 2015, is the date of this year’s Bulb Sale. If you would like to join the Bulb Sale committee, please sign up today. One or two people will be fine. This year we will not be ordering the Hall of Fame movies we have order them for the past several years and at the end of the sale we always have some leftover. If you have a special request please getting in early. We would like to thank all of you for coming out today for your anticipated support throughout the season.
- Alicia Boyd, President (313)492-5665 Cell (248)352-4939 Home
- Frank Ford, Vice President (313)565-2852
- Eileen Evans, Pass President (248)681-6453
- Linda Ford, Membership Chairperson (313)565-2852
- Richard Bayerl, Web Coordinator (248)349-3267
- Karen Greenwald, Zoo Garden Coordinator (248)219-8881